I remember a long, long time ago taking a trip somewhere with my family. Can't remember when or where but I do remember a little of what we listened to. My dad was big on listening to books on tape and we were listening to one of those. I remember it was a male LDS author talking about his memories of being a parent. The story I remember the most is that of Sunday dinner. His wife was always busy with children (8 kids I think?) and church on Sunday and they never had a "proper" Sunday dinner. The husband decided the family needed a better Sunday dinner. He went to the book store and bought lots of culturally diverse cookbooks and planned a fabulous dinner for the next week. Sunday came and he had slaved and slaved away at making this delicious dinner with recipes from all over the world. After all the exhausting work and after having all the kids turn their noses up at the food and not eating anything he decided it just wasn't worth it. The next Sunday with busy mom and a dad that refused to ever cook again the mom came up with a simple and pleasing idea. She fixed chocolate chip cookies for dinner. That is what the whole family had for their Sunday dinner - just chocolate chip cookies. The dad gasped but the kids loved it, of course, and it was easy for mom. So from that moment on they had chocolate chip cookies for dinner every Sunday.
I was reminded of this story as my brain tried hard to come up with something easy for dinner today. The only thing I was really in the mood for were cinnamon streusel muffins (from a mix of course). But feeling too guilty about serving just muffins (especially for my husband) I also threw together some rice-a-roni (from a box - Chad's favorite), warmed up some spaghettios (from a can - Halle's favorite), and made some mashed potatoes (instant - used microwave). And to top it all off I added a vegetable by throwing a package of baby carrots onto the table. So once it was time for dinner we all sat down to a gourmet Sunday meal and doused it down with fully sugar-loaded blue cool-aid.
Next week I might just tone things down a bit and go for just the chocolate chip cookies. But wait - I forget we have a child who doesn't like chocolate (I know - weird!!!!!!). I guess next week's dinner looks like snickerdoodles. Any one want to join us for dinner? I'll even make them from scratch. Just bring your own milk.
2 comments:
Sounds like our sunday dinners. The simpler the better. Hey, if you're making cookies I'll come for dinner anytime.
This is hilarious. That is how I lived in college and sometimes I wish I had the courage to lay out a dinner like that. I don't know why I don't. If I don't have a real meal, I usually end up with fast food or something. But, your combinations are just as good and a lot better on the checkbook! Nice work!
Post a Comment