Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Olga's Time Capsule

With all that has been going on this summer I have either been too busy to blog, too tired to blog, or really not in the mood to blog (or my husband has taken possession of the computer). I am starting to feel my blogging addiction starting to come back (thank goodness) but haven't known what to blog about. Now I could just type all the random thoughts and words rambling through my head (like a high school writing exercise) and drive everyone else insane. Or, maybe I could think of something coherent to write about.

I've been wanting to catch up on my "10 years ago" stories but I have misplaced the pictures that I want to include and haven't been able to find them yet. While I was looking for the pictures I found an envelope with some pictures in it that Chris' grandma (Olga Walker) had been given from us. Chris' mom had returned the photos when Olga passed away. It was fun to see what was in there and reminisce. So, I thought I would share the photos as my blog for today.


This is Chris and I at Stoneridge in July 1997. This was my first trip to Spokane to meet his family. Stoneridge was were the Walker Family Reunion (Chris' mom's side) took place.

They just happened to have an extra matching shirt for me. This is just one month after Chris and I meet.

There are some more pictures that were taken. Those are the ones I have been hunting down.

Do you notice how young and happy we look? That is because it is a picture of us BEFORE kids!








This was Chad's (our first born at 3 months of age) first venture to Spokane. We came up for thanksgiving - November 2000.

This is a four generation picture. Chris with his mother, Jeraldine, his grandma, Olga, and his son, Chad.

I remember GG (as we called Olga) being so excited to hold and play with Chad. Chad was also pretty spoiled by his four girl cousins who were also there.










December 2000. Our first official family picture (mom, dad, and Chad). We sent this picture out with our first ever Christmas letter.
I remember this picture making me feel so grownup. I was finally married and actually had a child to take care of. We finally felt like a "real" family.


















This is Chad at 18 months. The Lederhosen that Chad is wearing was about 19 years old. Chris had bought them while on his mission to Germany.

I never thought of doing anything like that from my mission. It about made me cry when Chris first showed me the Lederhosen and the Drindl he had purchased for his future children. He has always been a family man.
















May 2002. Halle's first photo shoot at just a few days old. Used this picture to send with her birth announcement.





















June 2002. Chris' family gather for a picture in front of our house on Halle's blessing day.















Halle at 6-8 weeks. Getting a picture of her and her blessing dress. (I made the dress - I'm pretty proud. That is one of the things I had always wanted to do as a mom.)

It was so amazing that we got such a good picture of Halle and with a smile on her face. In case you don't remember Halle in her early stages of life - she cried all the time!!!!!! So this picture is very atypical of the real Halle Ann.

In order to get her dressed finished my niece, Ashlee, helped to watch Halle and Chad. When Halle would finish a crying spell Ashlee would joyously announce, "Halle-lu-ya!"

For quite a while, Halle was known as the "Whaling Banshee!"





Again, a great picture of Halle. She really likes to ham it up for pictures!!! Always been a natural at that.

This is Halle's six month picture (Nov 2002).






















Halle's one year picture. Happily wearing her Dirndl.

She still sometimes asks to wear this dress, even though she knows it is now way too small for her.

I hope Halle has a little girl that can wear it too someday.

















July 2003 get together. I don't know why Chad is not in the picture and I can't remember who the older couple in the middle is - some relative of Chris.

You can see they had been playing croquet. The Caviness' are always competing in something.









A picture of GG with Sean. This picture always makes me a little sad because it is the only picture we have of Sean and GG together. GG passed away about 6 weeks after this picture.

While GG was in the resting home we had brought Sean over for her to see for the first time. But we forgot our camera. That is one of my biggest regrets as it was such a precious moment.





I was so glad to have found these pictures and especially to remember about Chris' grandma. She was a really strong, determined, and wonderful woman. I was so glad to get to know her. I always thought it was the neatest thing to be able to have four generations sitting together at church when she was well enough to attend.
GG passed away on August 19, 2004. August 19 is also Herm's birthday. So next week, while we are celebrating a birthday, we will also be celebrating the life and legacy of Olga Walker.

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love the pictures of Halle and Chad in the outfits Chris brought home. Have you gotten one with Sean in the Lederhosen yet?

I also wish I had taken more photos of my kids with relatives that have past away. I just always thought there would be more time and other opportunities.

Kristin said...

What great pictures! I love those 4 generation pictures. Those are such a treasure.

Ok...I have been reading all about you and I am so EXCITED to ask you something...

I was reading that you lived in Springville (so did I for 3 years) and when I read your post about meeting Chris I got even more excited...is your bestfriend Dayna by any chance Dayna Gadd? If it is I am absolutely going to FREAK OUT!! She was my bestfriend in 4th and 5th grade. I have been thinking about her and wondering what ever happened to her. I went so far as to look her up on classmates.com a week ago! She has a husband named Trevor and a sister named Katie. Are we talking about the same person?

Lara said...

No Way!!!!! Yes, this is Dayna Gadd we are talking about. How cool that you knew her. She was my best friend from Jr. High on.

She is married to Trevor Fuhriman and they live in West Jordan, Utah. They now have 5 kids!

For some reason I can't find her email on my computer right now. When I get more time I will email you her information.

andrea said...

I have great memories of Olga too. She was a great lady.

Kristin said...

That is so CRAZY!! I would love her email address whenever you get the chance. I have so much to talk to you about! :)

Lucy said...

Ah yes, the beauty of blogging. How great that you and Kristin have a friend in common.

Lara, that was too much fun seeing your kids' pictures. I do remember Halle's cries, but she has turned out to be such a smart, delightful little girl. I think many things do you credit, including that stunning blessing gown.

Melissa said...

I remember sweet Olga too! What a fun post. I love the Lederhosen. Nathan brought some crazy African jewelry home. I'll have to did it out for my girls. They will love it.