Tuesday, March 11, 2014

January Beginnings

Welcome 2014. I started out the new year with a cold.  That means things can only get better from here, right?!

The biggest change for 2014 came for Chad.  Chad had braces put on.  He had a few days of very sore teeth but was quite a trouper.  I think I am finally used to seeing that tin-grin on his face now.





January also brought a new sport for Chad - basketball!  Chad loves basketball.  He got to play on two teams at the same time - his school team and his church team.  While still doing tryouts for his school team he was at a basketball game for his church team.  While going up for a block he came down funny and fell on his wrist.  It hurt pretty bad and he came out of the game.  He thought it was feeling better and went back in - but as soon as he went back in and tried to take a shot the pain came shooting back.


Long story short, Chad ended up going to the ER that night.  Luckily it was just a bad sprain and he just needed to wear a splint and take ibuprofen.  He didn't get back home until right before midnight and then went to his school early morning basketball practice!  He seemed to do okay, but mom was sure worn out!  (I'm so glad we have insurance - his little trip to the ER for a sprained wrist was $1,300.)

Chad got to finish tryouts with his splint.  He was able to make the JV team.  He had a lot of fun and enjoyed every game.  Luckily for us most of his games ended up being at Chase.


First game at Chase.



Ready for some action.


Way to hustle number 45.



Ready for the rebound.



The Saturday right after Chad had hurt his wrist he had his bass recital.  He played a song called, "The Little Fiddle."  Thankfully, he had hurt his right wrist and was still able to use his bow.  In fact - his teacher said that that was the best Chad had ever played that song!  So apparently not practicing, lack of sleep, and injuring yourself is the way to get good musical results with your instrument.
 
Chad at his first bass recital. (Splint on right wrist.)
  
January also brought the gymnastics competition season.  As usual, Halle was pretty nervous for her first meet.  This year there are about 16 girls on the team (double from last year).  So competing was going to be harder this year.  Halle was very concerned over her bar routine because they changed it at her last practice, just 5 days before the meet.  It required her to do some skills she had never done before.  She was also nervous about her front tuck on the floor.  The floor at the new gym is not good!!!  It doesn't bounce like the old one.

Halle's group started off on beam.  She came out a fighter and nailed her routine.  She got the highest score for beam, a 9.65.  Then they moved onto floor,  Halle totally had the routine down and did everything great except the front tuck - she over rotated.  She scored a 9.20.  I was very disappointed as many of the other girls were scoring much higher and yet their floor routines were pretty flawed as they didn't know the routines and left out key elements.  The third rotation brought them to the vault.  They all had to do "flat backs" this year, much to the disappointment of Halle - who is a great vaulter and the only one who can really use the vault on the team.  She scored a nice 9.60.  Then bars was last.  Halle was not looking forward to bars - but it was kind of nice to be last as now that was the only event left to focus on.  Halle started off by doing her kip all by herself!!!!  That was the first time she had ever been able to do her kip.  She did all the other skills on her routine - just not too well polished yet - and scored a 9.00 (which was actually one of the higher scores for her group.  Unfortunately all the high bar scores were going to the other group of girls with a lower skill level routine.)

At the end, and as a huge surprise to herself, Halle took first place over all!!!!  The look on her face was priceless.  She was so happy (and relieved).



Halle takes 1st Place!

Her best event - beam.


The flower hair do.



After Halle's meet, Chris, Chad, and I were able to go to the temple and do baptisms for the dead.  Chris and Chad have been able to go together several times at temple trips, but this was my first time to be there with Chad.  And, they needed me to get baptized (not just be a helper).  It was a very wonderful experience!!!!

At the end of the month I had a big surprise and change in my life.  I've been in primary the last couple of years and have just loved it!!!!!  Then right before church started (on ward conference day) I was asked to serve in the Young Women program as the secretary.  I was totally taken back and cried all during sacrament and for the rest of they day.  It was a hard adjustment!!!!!  I miss those kids terribly!! And I miss working with my primary presidency - they were awesome.

The temple did prepare me a little though.  I did feel a great respect and love for the youth as I watched them perform baptisms.  I am still getting my feet under me in all that I need to do for my new calling - but I already love these young woman.

The weather has also been very interesting this year.  This is the first year that I have had snow tires (after living in the northwest for 12 years) and they work really well - in
fact they seem to repel snow as we really haven't had any this year!  The only white we have seen is from the fog and the frost.  I'll take it!!!!






No comments: