Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Sunshine In My Hair

There is sunshine in my hair today. I have been in a hair rut lately. I haven't seen a hairdresser since the beginning of October 2006. Why have I been in a rut? Because I have been paralyzed with indecision. I know that I don't like the way my hair is now, but I just don't know what to do. A perm? Grow it longer? Cut it shorter? Bangs or no bangs? Highlights? What to do, what to do, what to do?!?

I've been bordering on highlights, but not sure what kind of cut to get so have been putting it off. After seeing Lucy get a great hair cut and some added blond I decided to go for it. But still not knowing how I wanted it cut I thought maybe I would save some money by doing the color myself and then get it cut when I had finally decided on a style. So as I went to the drug store yesterday to stock up on medicine for the kids, and their numerous ailments, I ended up walking through the "hair" aisle and noticed that most of their hair coloring kits were on sale.

What the hey - I thought - I'm gonna go for it. I carefully selected a box that was labeled, "Subtle Highlights - especially for blond to medium brown hair." I thought I had found the perfect elixir for my hair rut - just a little color to spruce me up for spring. Unfortunately I got a little more than I bargained for!!!!


The third row down shows my hair color and then what it is supposed to look like after the highlights.

I was determined to do my hair this morning (before I chickened out). So as soon as I got Chad off to school, I made sure Halle and Sean had everything they needed and a video to keep them busy while I did my hair. I mixed up the stinky ingredients and started to apply the goop to my hair. I grabbed a strand here and there and made sure I got all the layers of my hair done and then especially applied it around my face and bangs (as suggested by the instructions). Then, wanting to make sure it didn't look too streaky I rubbed my hair around - so that all my hair got just a little bit of the highlighter on it.

Then next step was to wait 30-90 minutes. 90 minutes was the recommended time - but you were supposed to test after 30 minutes and then recheck every 5-10 minutes there after until you achieved the color you desired. Well, even before I started timing I noticed my hair already looked pretty blond - but thought I had better follow the instructions. I checked on the kids, got the dishes done, and cleaned up the kitchen from breakfast. Only 15 minutes had transpired before I peaked in on my hair again. It was really looking blond!!!!! Then I started to panic - that was not quite the look I was going for. So I hurried and got into the shower and started to wash everything off.

After my shower I quickly got dressed and proceeded to blow dry my hair so I could see the results. But even before drying it I could tell it was going to be very blond. After drying it I was in total shock. It was very, very, blond ALL over - no highlights, just blond hair. AAAAGGGGGG!!!!!!!!



A scary picture - no highlights, just blond.


Now I feel like a freak. I am hoping a few days of seeing myself with blond hair will eventually wear off the shock I am feeling right now. If not - I guess I will have to go groveling to my hairdresser to fix the mess I got myself into. Or maybe (to save money again) I could pull a Brittney and just shave off all my hair and get a tattoo on my hand that says, "I will never do my own hair again."

Which reminds me of the last time I did my own hair. While in college I thought it would be fun to give myself a perm. I followed all the instructions (just like I usually do) and after only 6 hours (yes, I am as slow as the student hair dressers) I had lots of lovely curls. Everything seemed great until the day after the first wash. After combing through my hair - I noticed a lot of hair in my pick. Then the next day as I was combing through my hair a big section about two inches wide and about 8 inches long just fell out of my hair. The more I brushed the more hair fell out. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. After a week all the hair from one side of my head had all broken off - necessitating an emergency visit to my hair dresser to get a new very short do. So much for long, curly hair. Why didn't I remember this story before I did my hair this morning? Next time I start talking about doing my own hair - please - somebody do an intervention for me. I may need cosmetology rehab.

So, if it seems extra sunny while you are out and about - maybe it is because I just walked or drove past you and the gleam from my bright blond hair radiated into your eyes.

5 comments:

andrea said...

I am dying! Lara, that is hilarious. I can't wait to see you in person to see your glow. It doesn't look bad in your picture. What did Chris think when he got home?

I loved the story about your perm too.

Carolyn said...

I think your picture looks great! I can't wait to see you in person.

p.s. I like the bangs too.

Lara said...

Chris called to see what was for dinner - before he came home (he hadn't had a good meal for a couple of days so was wondering if he needed to get himself something to eat - thanks to my lazyiness and "creativity," the last few days. So I pre-warned him about what happened. But I noticed when he came in the house and looked at me that he was trying his best not to laugh. And thanks to one of his favorite meals and a busy night he didn't say much.

Lucy said...

You look great, lara! I can't wait to see it for real.

Rebecca said...

Your expression in your picture is priceless! So funny!

I've always taken my hair for granted. Not that it's so great looking, but curly hair just sort of takes care of itself. I'm used to not having to make decisions about my hair. It just stays the same year after year. No changes. Maybe that's why I like to buy shoes. Now there I can make some changes!

I've always thought of you as a blond anyway, now you're just a brighter blond! Looks great!