Friday, June 6, 1997 started out being a beautiful day. The sun was bright, there were a few puffy clouds scattered throughout the sky and a light breeze buzzed around that was very welcome on a warm Utah day.
When I awoke, I went through my usual getting up and ready routine. Later I dressed in my best Sunday dress, stockings and shoes. As I curled my hair and applied my makeup my thoughts were on my best friend, Dayna. Today was her big day. I was getting ready to attend her wedding at the Mount Timpanogos Temple in American Fork, Utah. She was my last single friend to get married and she had been through quite a journey to get to this point. I was so happy for her.
As I pulled up to the temple I was excited to go in the new Timpanogos Temple for the first time, I was excited for my friend, and I had this overhanging feeling that something great would happen that day. I was all smiles and tears at the same time.
After entering the temple I found the wedding party and quickly attached myself to my friend's younger sister, Katie. She was single and I was single so I was glad to find someone to be with and talk with and not be a complete loser and loner. The waiting room was packed full of friends and family and giddy whispers bounced around the room. After a while of waiting I noticed three very nicely dressed and good looking young men enter the room. My heart gave a little flutter and all of a sudden I blushed. I don't know why I felt that way. I didn't know who these men were and if they were married or single and besides I had totally sworn off men. So I tried to ignore them and continued to talk to Katie. But try as I might, I still keep getting a warm little feeling in my heart.
At the appointed time we all went into the sealing room to witness the marriage of my friend Dayna, to her sweetheart, Trevor. It was beautiful to be there and see my best friend's marriage. It actually made me think that maybe I really did want to get married some day.
After the temple, the wedding party was invited to a lunch at a yummy Mexican restaurant. Again, Katie and I tagged along together. And before we arrived, we made sure to stop at a local grocery store to buy proper supplies to decorate the wedding couple's car. (No need to wait until the reception - take advantage when you can!)
As we sat down to eat I again noticed the three handsome young men sitting at the opposite corner of the room. Again, I tried to ignore them. Katie and I had a bite to eat, excused ourselves for a few moments (to help with decorating) and came back in time for the program. After the parents spoke, the groom introduced some of his friends from college - the same three young men that had already procured my attention. He mentioned that one of their hobbies while in college was writing songs together and that they would perform some of them now in honor of his new bride.
The four men did a fabulous job. They sang all original songs. The last one made me really jealous - it was so beautiful and had all the words in that I had always longed to hear. So, now I knew how these young men fit into the wedding party, but still did not know where they were from, marriage status, etc. I was especially intrigued by the tall, fair young man. He seemed to exude the most charm out of the three. But why am I even thinking about them?! I don't need men. I have my life all planned out - hate for someone to ruin my plans or something. And why would any one even be interested in me any way????
As the events came to a close I started to leave. But before I could reach the door my friend, Dayna ran up to me and said she had to ask me something. She asked me if I was seeing anyone or involved or anything like that. I honestly responded that there was no one special in my life at the moment (nor had there been for many moments of time) and I wasn't interested in any set up dates (she had tried several times before). She said she wasn't looking to set me up but that one of her husband's friends had inquired about me. Then she was bombarded by more friends and family congratulating her and that was the end of our conversation.
I left quite a befuddled mess. Was someone really interested in me? Would I be interested in them. Who had it been? What were all these feelings coming over me?
To be continued . . .
4 comments:
Dang it! Finish the story. Don't leave us hanging like that. I've heard the story before so I know the jist, but I'm dying to know how it all plays out. So romantic.
I can remember meeting Chris one time at a BYU basketball game and Jason telling me he was from Spokane, single and a teacher. Who knew then that we'd all be such great friends.
What a sweet beginning.... now finish the dang story!
You are such a great story teller! I can't wait to read the rest. Don't leave us hangin' too long. :-)
You are a good writer! I can't believe you claim anything different! I was completely hooked by this story telling. How romantic.
Post a Comment