My friend Dayna, and her new husband Trevor, had a two day celebration of their marriage. Friday was their wedding day followed by a lunch. And the following day, Saturday, was to be the day of their reception. I draw a blank on any memories following the lunch and preceding the reception. I guess that happens when everyday runs the same routine as any other day and life is kind of at a stand still. I do remember the feelings though. Nervousness, excitement, puzzlement, confusion, longing. All to do with some stranger that had asked about me.
As afternoon turned into evening I again got dressed in my best to go to the reception. Again, I was excited for my friend - but not a real lover of the required social interaction needed at such an advent. The reception was held in the backyard of my friend's parents home. It was a really beautiful home with an even more spectacular garden. Everything was dressed in elegance and a small orchestra greeted the guests with enchanting classical music.
Before I could even sign in at the guest registry, I had total butterflies in my tummy. Would that young man be here tonight? Would he recognize me? Would he want to talk to me? Why did this seem like such a big deal? I tried to quiet my nerves and used all my mental strength to push away my inner shyness.
As I slowly proceeded in line to greet the happy couple I nonchalantly looked around to see what I could see. The young men I had seen earlier were there sitting at a table together. More butterflies. I concentrated on the dress and shoes of the person in front of me. Again, a quick glance in their direction. And now horror is passing through every vein and artery in my body. My mother, of all people, has sat down at this table. What is she doing there? Did Dayna tell her to sit there? Was she just able to smell "bachelors" out and was hoping to get me a catch? (My mother was never shy at letting people know that I was single and they were free to date and/or marry me - my mother really didn't care what order that took place as long as there was to be a wedding.)
Finally I am face to face with the bride. I give her a big hug and kiss and then shake the hand of her new husband and of course threaten him to take the utmost care of my best friend. When I am done shaking hands I quickly walk over to the refreshment table. There is nothing better to take your mind off things than chocolate and cheesecake! I find an unoccupied bench and sit there alone trying to enjoy the music and the moment for my friend. I am wondering which young man it is that had an interest in me and if he will really do anything about it. I wonder about my life.
Half way through eating and pondering a figure approaches. It is the tall, fair handsome young man. (The other two were both shorter and darker.) Is he going for the refreshments or me? He comes closer and closer and heads directly toward me. Then he boldly sits down right by me. I can't believe it. I am in so much shock that I don't remember the first part of our conversation or how it even got started. But I do recall looking at him and thinking how sharp he looked. His hair was well styled, his clothes looked professional and his voice was deeper than I expected. I melted within seconds.
Sketches of our conversation that I do remember talking about were that he was a teacher and a track coach. I was on my way to becoming a teacher and I had run track in high school. He was from Spokane Washington originally and his name was Chris Caviness. He also talked about Trevor and Dayna and some of his and Trevor's escapades in college. It was through some of this conversation that I realized that this was the young man my friend Dayna had tried desperately to set me with up almost a year ago. I had emphatically declined - "No more set up dates!" The last one she had set me up on was a dozy. A real cowboy with a couple of missing teeth and just started attending Utah Valley Community College in preparation for the police force.
Chris' charm was mesmerizing. We talked for I don't know how long. It was one of those moments where only he and I existed. The music, the smell of food, the buzz of conversation, the people walking to and fro - all became the faded, out of focus wall paper in the periphery of my vision. I don't even remember breathing! It was all so surreal. And in that small amount of time he did/said three things that meant a lot to me. I won't reveal what these things are, but I had prayed and prayed that I would meet a young man who would do/say these things - and it happened. I knew this was going some place special.
Before we said our blushing goodbyes he got my phone number and asked me to go out with him the following Friday night. I of course agreed to Friday night and looked anxiously forward to it every night the following week.
3 comments:
I feel like I'm reading a romance novel. You're truly a gifted writer! What a great "how we met" story. I know I've told you this before, but I remember being Chris' mom's visiting teacher and her telling me all about the "special someone" Chris had met.
Awesome story Lara, You and Chris were truly brought together.
Bold move, Chris! I love your memories and perspective. What a love match!
Post a Comment