Because I was without the Internet for a week down in Utah and because I am busily trying to prepare for our next adventure I will have to be quick and brief in catching up.
To begin with, our reunion this year seemed to be a series of unfortunate events! Just before the Hansen family reunion my Aunt Karen's father passed away. This made her and her family have to travel back and forth from Springville, Utah to Las Vegas several times to be there with her dying father, attend the funeral, and also attend various events at our reunion. During the first day of our reunion my Aunt Leslie found out that her father had had a stroke and a fall. She spent the night at the hospital and wasn't able to attend any other events.
My dad had been suffering from kidney stones for about a week. He seemed to be fine for the first few days of our arrival. But, on the next big day of reunion events (water skiing at Deer Creek) he ended up going to two different hospitals and finally being admitted to the ER. After being sent home and then contacting several different doctors he ended up back in the ER for emergency surgery. His stones were too big to pass and plugging up all the works. He was really sick and suffered from surgery too. It took a full week for him to start feeling better - but is still not recovered from it all yet.
My mom has had pain in her jaw on and off for several months. Of course it flared up again as soon as me and the kids arrived (I keep joking that it is because she is allergic to my kids). She ended up having to go to the dentist and found out she had an infected root - that of course could not be fixed at the moment - she will have to make an appointment with a specialist.
The first day we were at my mom's house Sean was climbing up on a bar stool when it came crashing down on him and smashed up his mouth. The poor kid had a bruised and fat lip for about three days.
Two days after arriving at my mom's house we found out that Halle is allergic to cats. My mom has always had cats - but keeps them out of the way because Chris and my sister-in-law are allergic. Plus the cats are not too fond of the kids so they usually stay away. But, my mom now has two stray cats (very long haired) who love the kids and the kids loved them back. Halle's face looked like a puffa fish and we had to keep her on benadryl and eyes drops for the rest of our stay. She also got a black eye after Chad accidentally swung his fist in her face while swimming at the pool.
While swimming at the pool I also sustained an injury. While I was taking Sean down the water slide he got so excited he was wiggling all around. In his excitement he bucked his head back and hit my nose with his head. I heard a big crack (like someone breaking a carrot in two) and felt great pain in my nose. Sean broke my nose!!!! Luckily it didn't swell up too bad or bleed. But is hurt for ages and still hurts if I touch it or blow my nose.
Lastly (I think) Chad got his fingers slammed in the car door on our way home from Stadium of Fire. So the poor kid had to suffer all the long way home (waiting and waiting to get out of the parking lot and driving through Provo) before we could do anything for him.
Seems like Chris was the only one who remained injury free. Hope it stays that way for our next trip and that all our bad luck is now over!!!!!
We did have lots of fun (which I will catch up on later) but didn't want to forget what a memorable year it was this time around.
3 comments:
Wow, talk about the walking wounded. That is some serious bad luck. Did a black cat cross your path or did you break a mirror or something?
I am sending positive vibes your way for a bone-breaking, bruise, puffy face free cruise!
Your poor nose. How does it look? I am so sorry you had to go through that. It must have hurt so bad! We missed you at the lake. Maybe later in the summer we can hook up.
I am so sorry about your nose! The pain and the sound of the crack! I think I would've fainted. How is it now?
Post a Comment