For my very first mother's day my great husband wrote me a poem. It always helps remind me of how exciting and scary it was to become a mom. So I thought I would share it.
Lara's First Mother's Day
Twas the night before Christmas and all through the house
Not a creature was stirring just our little mouse.
His presence was tiny although no one else knew.
Just one more gift for daddy with little wrapping to do.
There was another test that had to be done,
Making sure things were positive before all the fun.
You had a special gift for me to open at the end.
When I pressed to go earlier you just wouldn't bend.
It was then I began to think what could this gift be,
Was it something she bought special for me?
I did have one thought, I knew Lara was late.
Is that why she made sure for this I must wait.
Looking at my brother, Jeff, with him looking back
I think it was then I knew what was in the sack.
As I pulled the stick up close to my eye
I saw the results and started to cry.
It was the perfect news on that special day.
We now would be parents we had one on the way.
It seemed kind of crazy just didn't seem real
What were all these feelings we started to feel?
I must admit our feelings were not quite the same.
During the next few months mine were still very tame.
It was Lara who started feeling sick all the while.
Still teaching each day with it tough to put on a smile.
Although happy inside she was really quite brave
When all sorts of strange things she started to crave.
It was Popsicles that became the main food of choice
Then it was milk and soon it was beef that had a voice.
At week twenty visiting doctor Nance was in store.
A boy or a girl we wouldn't wait anymore.
The ultrasound let us see arms, legs, hands, and feet
Including the part that makes all males complete.
With the news came the thought just what should we do?
Our minds turned to shopping - buying everything blue.
It started with clothes which then led to more
A crib, a car seat and everything else in the Babies R'Us store.
As our child began to grow, Lara's waistline did too.
And don't forget the feet that also was new.
Lifting weights and walking the track were rituals each day.
But it was the water aerobics that helped keep the heat at bay.
Now what would we call him, no name to adorn
We decided on "Newt" just until he was born.
And then it was on to the prenatal class
With everyone there just hoping to pass.
The third day of school came when Lara was induced.
A healthy baby boy was born and mommy's tummy reduced.
He let out a scream of emotion, the meaning not clear.
After ten hours our bundle of joy was really here.
The first days were tough and much of a blur.
Did this finally happen, did it really occur?
We took our son home on a warm August night
So grateful he was OK and everything turned out all right.
There was not a difference between night and day
We had to take care of Chad's needs in just the right way.
To get our son on a schedule it took quite a while
When he slept through the night we awoke with a smile.
He continues to learn and now knows how to crawl.
When feeding time comes he sure wants it all.
When Chad meets new people he hasn't smiled a lot.
Was it some of those genes from LaVell that he got?
Our son likes other children and loves all the girls.
But when you look at his blond hair it will not have any curls.
Daddy and Grandpa like to play kind of rough
Unless Mommy and Nanny see putting an end to that stuff.
Cause Daddy is working for most of the day
It's mommy who gets to stay home and play.
Day in and day out Lara has done the mother's part
Giving all of her love straight from her big heart.
I still can't believe how blessed I am to be a mother. And now that I am a mother myself I can finally really understand all that my mother did for me.
Happy Mother's Day everyone!!!!!
3 comments:
Lara,
I haven't had a chance to read your blog for a while and just caught up. You sound like you are enjoying life. I love your enthusiasm and joy for living. I just realized I sign in as jilljoy - a little nickname Kyle calls me, but wondered if you knew it was me, Mary in Utah. Happy Mother's Day!!!
This is so sweet. It really puts into words all the thoughts and feelings of having that first baby.
What a sweet poem!! That Chris is very multi-talented. Isn't it so true? We never realize or appreciate all our parents have done for us until we become parents ourselves. I hope your Mother's Day was wonderful.
Post a Comment