I remember not wanting to eat certain things on my plate while I was younger. But at least I was honest about it. I left it on the plate and accepted what ever punishment came with it - early bed, sitting there until I did eat, etc.
Some how Chad has become the master of hiding the fact that he hasn't eaten his food. At first he would very sneakily make his food into very small pieces and then toss them down on the floor. I caught on as soon as I realized how messy the floor was becoming from certain foods Chad didn't like.
After he knew that gig was up he started hiding the food on his chair between his legs. No mess on the floor, but plenty of evidence once he left the table and I started to clean up.
His newest attempt? Sticking it in his pocket!!!!! Yes, the kid is crazy. He loves meat, loves spam, loves bacon, loves deli ham but will not eat just ordinary ham. Before he left the table I checked the floor - the usual mess - and checked his chair -all clean. But as he was standing up while I did the chair check I saw something sticking out of his pants pocket. He had stuffed all the pieces of ham in his pocket. So glad I discovered then and not while in the middle of laundry!!!
What is a mom supposed to do with that? Laugh or throw the book at him?!
Sean is starting to take after his brother now too. I noticed some of my dishes had gone missing (nothing new around my house). I finally found a couple of bowls and spoons strategically placed inside the wood framework of my dinning room table. Unfortunately I found them after the breakfast cereal (oatmeal and cream of wheat) had been there long enough to dry out and start to mold. It was so disgusting I about gagged. I made Sean look at what he had done and more importantly made him smell what he had done - he did not like that.
Tonight Sean was the last one at the table (as usual). I left for a few minutes and came back to see him scooping his dinner into the trash.
Aggh. These things make me so frustrated! I understand that they are not going to like eating everything we have for dinner every single night. But what I really can't stand is the sneaking part - that they think it is okay to not be honest.
What do your kids do? What do you do to encourage them to eat or punish them when they don't?
1 comment:
do you really want to know--my very un-mother of the year approach? okay...I dish a LITTLE of everything on their plate before calling them to dinner. It is small enough portions so that they will be hungry if that is all they eat. (I try to be fair--3 or 4 spoonfuls of each thing) They have to eat everything on their plate before they can have seconds of anything--after that they can eat as much of whatever they want on the table. My kids are so stubborn, sometimes they will only eat the 3 or 4 bites of what they like and declare themselves done. I figure as long as they don't complain I can't either. I HAVE also been known to save food in the fridge for eating for breakfast the next morning or even into lunch==if I need to. As for sneaking, I have no experience, but I would be tempted to redish their plate then and there with a larger portion than to start with and wait for them to choke it down. Good Luck!
Post a Comment