Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Gone Are the Days of the PopTart

I've been a failure in the breakfast department for a long time now!

With three young kids and not being a morning person - I've been in breakfast survival mode for many, many years now.

Breakfast has mainly consisted of cold cereal (with or without milk - depending on the child) or pop-tarts with a few mornings (but mostly evenings) of pancakes, waffles, or french-toast.

I decided that I am no longer in survival mode (all three kids in school). So I planned for more cooked breakfasts. No, I am still no June Clever (although Chris' mom certainly was/is!!!!) but I have upped my game in the morning.

Last week we had cream-of-wheat, scrambled eggs and toast, oatmeal, bacon bundles, and zoom.

My kids have not quite yet embraced having a good cooked meal in the morning. They just have to remember that I am way more stubborn then they are!!!!!

What do you like for breakfast?

I'd love some more ideas - so send them my way!!!!!

4 comments:

isshou ni said...

cheese breads, french toast, english muffins with PB&J on them.

Kristin said...

I am SO THRILLED that Chris doesn't have Cancer!! I am so happy for you guys. Hopefully the medicine will kick in and help him to start feeling better. What a roller coaster you guys have been on this summer.

As for breakfast I applaud you. I am so the cold cereal mom. But once in awhile I will do a hot breakfast...usually in the winter.

Here's what my kids like:

Oatmeal cooked overnight in the crock pot with apple juice.

Baked Oatmeal

Baked french Toast...assemble the night before...and pop it in the oven in the morning.

Breakfast Burritos...eggs, cheese, salsa and sour cream.

English muffins with peanut butter and apple slices.

English muffins with peanut butter and banana slices.

Any kind of hot cereal...cream of wheat, Zoom, Wheat hearts.

Fruit and Cream with toast. My kids are having that this morning with peaches.

They LOVE any kind of quick bread like Banana or Zuchini with cream cheese.

Yeah...I should really make them a hot breakfast more often. You are such a good mom! ;)

Lorilee said...

Seriously??? I haven't fixed breakfast for the kids since Caleb was old enough to reach the bowls. I am still just trying to get my head around "cooking" something for dinner... no way am I adding another whole meal to the mix. But good job for you. What a great mom.

Lucy said...

My parents always made a hot breakfast. I feel like such a slacker, but hope that someday, my own children will have those same memories.

Wow, Kristin. I'm excited if I manage to make a pot of oatmeal.