Sunday, November 18, 2012

Coulee Dam

Chris' parents grew up around Coulee Dam.  Both of this Grandfathers worked on the dam.  Chris has fond memories of visiting and staying with his Grandma and Bompa Walker in Coulee Dam.  Chris and his family took me there when we were newly weds.  Then Chris and I took Chad and Halle there when they were little (we left Sean with Chris' parents).  So we thought it was time we took another trip there to show our children the sites and where some of their family comes from.  My parents were also with us.  I thought my Dad would enjoy a tour of the dam as he is an engineer and helped work on the Jordanelle Dam in Utah.

The first thing that interested the boys was playing with an old diving suit.

Sean behind the mask and looking serious.
Chad's turn and having a laugh.

I loved looking at all the old style knobs and buttons.  How did we live pre-digital?

Just a small showing of all the equipment used to pump the water.

A pretty impressive accomplishment.


Nanny and Grandpa at Coulee Dam with the grandkids.

Three columns and three kids.

A view of the big pile of dirt next to Chris' grandma's house.  You can also see where a fire had burned through just a few days earlier.




Our family at Coulee Dam.

Action shot of Sean.




Another family picture.  The boys don't have sun glasses - can't quite look at the camera in the bright sunlight.



After our little tour of Coulee dam and a nice lunch at a local restaurant we continued on to Fort Spokane for our Glenrose Ward camp-out.  We enjoyed great weather, had fun swimming in the river, having tin-foil dinners, games, and camping out.

The next day we moved up to Porcupine Bay where we had several members volunteer their boats for use.  Chris and I where able to ski and wake board.  The kids had a great time on the tubes.  My mom and dad enjoyed watching the kids swim.  But after a whirlwind weekend of fun it was also great to finally go home, have a hot shower and sleep in a real bed again.

Sean having way too much fun with the left over "Cupcake" pinata.



 I wish I had more pictures of the camp out and boating.  I'm always to scared to bring my camera along in case something happens to it.  Maybe I need to invest in a smaller and cheaper camera to take on adventures with me.

 

No comments: