Monday, January 28, 2008

Gordon B. Hinckley

What creates a connection between different people? How much does it hurt when that connection is severed?

Many new him as their father, brother, uncle, grandfather, friend, acquaintance, mentor, co-worker, home teacher, etc. To the world (believe or not) he was the prophet of God. And whether you knew President Hinckley well or not I think everyone has felt some sadness and some loss of light at the news of his passing.

I didn't know president Hinckley's favorite color, or his favorite food, or what he liked to do with his grandkids; but I did get to know him through the fruit of his labor. I got to know the love and wisdom of a servant of God through his words and actions. He was a great man. A defender of the faith and pursuer of truth and righteousness.

I did have the chance to meet President Hinckley personally and shake his hands. He came to our mission (England, Manchester the same area where he had served many years before) for the ground breaking of the new Preston Temple. We had a special mission wide conference in which he presided. I was so nervous to actually be in the presence of an apostle (he was at the time the 1st counselor in the First Presidency).

While I did work hard on my mission and follow the rules and did my best - it was not the easiest thing for me to do. I was really shy and it physically hurt to go up to people on the street and ask "golden questions" and to knock on door after door after door. So I was feeling some guilt about not being a "good" missionary and thought that after he talked I would be feeling even worse. I was so surprised when his talk was so light and comical. I don't remember all that he said but I do remember him saying how we needed to have joy in our lives, to enjoy each moment, and have some FUN while we were serving as missionaries. Not what I expected to hear, but exactly what I needed to hear!!!!! I took everything so seriously and only focused on the negatives. It really helped me get more lost in the work as I tried to have more fun and focus on the positive.

At the end of the meeting we were all allowed to go up and shake his and Marjorie's hand. Again, I was so nervous to meet him. But as I finally got my chance to shake hands and look him in the eye all I could see was love. I have always imagined that this will be kind of the same experience when I get the chance to see the Savior again. Nervousness, not quite believing that it is really happening, flashes of sin and quilt, but then the feeling of love and the feeling that I can be forgiven, that I can be something better than what I am, that there is an eternity of hope and unending possibilities.

I will miss President Hinckley. A part of my heart is broken, an earthly connection broken, but I know it will mend with the calling of a new Prophet and also knowing that this is all part of the plan of salvation. That in order to move on death must happen. I'm sure President Hinckley is already busy at work in the spirit world continuing to testify of Heavenly Father and Christ. And I am sure he was embraced in love himself by the Savior and by his own loved ones who have been waiting for him to come.

1 comment:

andrea said...

I just saw some video footage of some of his visits to England and he was absolutely giddy. He had such a love for England. That's pretty cool that you were called to serve in the same place. What a neat experience to meet him and shake his hand.