Our tragic story about Sean is that when he was born we bought a new digital camera. We used the camera a lot during his first year. I didn't want him to be the typical 3rd child with no pictures. Unfortunately Chris and I are not only domestically challenged, we are also technically challenged. So before we could figure out how to save our pictures or get them printed, the scan disk got corrupted and we lost all of our pictures of Sean's first year of life. (I still get physically sick thinking about it). But we have discovered that even though he may have fewer baby pictures than the other kids (he did turn out to be the typical 3rd child) his journal is a lot, lot thicker!!!!!! So this blog is dedicated to the Sean stories that took place just this last week.
One of my previous blogs was about Sean and broken eggs. This is something that occurs on a pretty regular basis (any time he is not in my sight). Another regular occurrence is the random distribution of laundry powder. When I am downstairs and Sean is upstairs he gets into the eggs. When I am upstairs and he is downstairs he gets into the laundry powder. I keep it up high, but that means nothing to a determined 2 year old. So when I go to do laundry and I open up the laundry room I am usually greeted with a floor covered in powder. I shake it out of anything lying around and sweep up as much as I can from the floor and recycle the powder back to the box and put it back on the shelf. The other day, my husband took some dirty clothes down to the laundry room and was greeted by the laundry powder all over the floor. And being the fantastic husband that he is, he cleaned up the mess. He told me about the incident later that evening and we both just did the usual nodding of the heads and soft curses about Sean being a pickle boy.
The next day, I went into the laundry room to actually do some loads. I was remembering how sweet it was that I didn't have to clean up the last mess, when I saw something that made me scream. No, it wasn't a spider, it wasn't a rat. It was laundry powder poured all over my sewing machine. All into the motor and gears and everything and everywhere around my sewing machine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sean must have known that my screaming was about him because he wouldn't come when I called to him. After finally getting a hold of him I took him to the laundry room and showed him the mess. I said, "Who did this?" And Sean looked me right in the eye and said, "Chad did it." I said, "No, Sean did this." And then he bowed his little head, lowered his eyes and puckered his lips and softly said, "I sorry."
I'm still too scared to see what kind of damage was actually done and if I will be able to get all the powder out or not. So maybe when I am finally feeling brave I will try it out. If you can hear a faint screaming coming from the location of my house, that will just be me. I am sure I will recover eventually.
Another thing Sean is into lately is getting himself dressed. I am all for my kids doing more for themselves and having less work for me, but Sean still seems to make it more work for me. Sean has plenty of nice pajamas. I try to let him pick what he would like to wear for bed, but he never picks any of my choices for him. He always wants to wear one of Chad's T-shirts for bed. Just a diaper and a shirt. His most favorite shirt is a Halloween one dubbed "spooky." Sean loves the spooky shirt. The other day that is all he wore for 24 hours straight. He had worn it the night before and refused to change out of it the next day. Thank goodness I didn't have to go anywhere.
Yesterday he scared me pretty bad. I had finally put him down for a nap and was looking forward to some quiet time. Only 10 or 15 minutes had transpired when I heard a loud and frantic crying coming from his room. I ran down the stairs with all the worst case scenarios running around in my head. Had he climbed up to the top bunk and fallen off, had he climbed up his furniture and it had fallen on him, did he try to escape through the window but got stuck? I quickly opened the door to see him on the floor trying to get his leg through his spider man pajamas. I guess after I had left him peacefully in his bed that some wild idea formed in his little head. He climbed up the dresser to get his pajamas from the very top drawer of his chest, climbed back down, took off all his clothes, took off his diaper, put a new diaper on and was trying to get his pajamas on when his plan was thwarted by a stuck toe and he had to succumb to asking for help in the most obnoxious way he knew how. Of course I was relieved that he had come to no harm. I helped him with his pajamas and put him back in bed. And at least when it was bed time later that night, he already had his pajamas on.
This morning, Sean was out of bed before me. He came to wake me up and ask for his usual morning hot chocolate. But it seemed to him that I was just taking too long to get out of bed and see to his demanding needs right then and there. So he took it upon himself to get everything ready. He pushed a chair over to where the cupboard is with his sippy cups. He opened up the microwave, got the hot chocolate out, and had a spoon ready. And all of this in the one minute it took me to get out of bed, go to the bathroom, and run into the kitchen. I'm glad I didn't have to find out what else would have taken place if I had not hurried as quickly as I did.
Sean, I love you! And I can't wait to tell your future wife all about you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 comments:
Lara, someday Sean and Jack are going to be great friends someday. I feel your pain sister!
What a busy little man! With his two left-brained parents, all of that curiosity and determination...he's bound to be a great scientist!
Oh Lara . . . I so relate. Adam loves his brother's PJs, loves to get the hot chocolate can out, loves to get in the refrigerator, and the list goes on.
After I read your blog, it hit me . . . your 3 kids and my last 3 kids are pretty much the same age and gender. We should get together more! :-)
Post a Comment