Sunday, February 4, 2007

Super Bowl Sunday

Well, I never thought "Super Bowl Sunday" would ever be a title in my life or words spoken in my vocabulary. But today is the day it happened.

Sunday started innocently enough. The usual routine of going to church, enjoying the testimonies that were shared, being relieved that I didn't have to conduct or teach in Relief Society. Then after church coming home and fixing the kids lunch (and trying to avoid licking my fingers or drooling too much until it was time to break my fast), relaxing for a while and then going down for a nap.

While I had been waiting for a nap all day (I've been sick this weekend) the kids had other ideas today. I guess another title for today would have been "Mutiny of the Bunk Beds." Sean wouldn't go to sleep so Chad decided not to sleep and to wake up Halle. So the kids had their own little party downstairs while mom and dad slept. They were at least smart enough to know that their lives might end if they had woken us up. After a nice nap and a lot of mental battles I finally dragged myself out of bed.

To back track a little, the first Monday of every month has been designated as a Super Caviness Family Home Evening night where we get together with Chris' mom and dad and his brother, Jeff, and his family. We take turns hosting the FHE. This month was Jeff and Linda's turn to host. Jeff had a business dinner Monday night, Chris had High Council Meeting on Tuesday, I have a baby shower on Wednesday night, Thursday night is girl's night out, and Friday the boys are going to the monster truck show. So, Sunday was the decided day to have our combined FHE.

So after waking up and coming to, I asked Chris what the plan was, if FHE was still on tonight, especially since I finally realized that it was Super Bowl Sunday. Chris didn't know, so I called Jeff to see what the plans were and he invited us to come over immediately for food, the super bowl and FHE. I think Jeff had this all planed out to begin with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The food sounded extremely enticing (especially after fasting). And after all - it was family home evening. So we decided to head out to Jeff's house. I prepared for the worst by bringing a book to read and my journal and planned on having my kids to entertain me.

After arriving at Jeff's my kids abandoned me for fun with their cousins (even Sean stayed downstairs most of the time). I grabbed up some munchies and sat down, prepared to be bored out of my mind, and to excuse myself a little while later to read or do something else. But as the game got started I actually started to enjoy watching (can you believe me watching football and enjoying it?). Maybe it was finally getting some food in my belly, maybe I was still whacked out on cold medicine, or maybe after all these years of living with a sporty husband my intolerance for football had been broken down, I don't know!

So we watched football and laughed at the commercials. Then around half time dinner was served! Delicious BBQ steak and ribs. Jeff and Linda know how to throw a party and keep quests happy!!!!

When the game finally ended we then had our official FHE activity of making Valentine cards for some family members. The kids had a great time with glitter glue, heart stickers, and doilies. The boys seemed to get the task done quickly while the girls put a little more time and energy into the projects.

So thank you Jeff and Linda for a great day, and a day for the record books. Who knows, maybe I'll throw the super bowl party next year. (Ha, ha, ha.)

3 comments:

andrea said...

I watched the superbowl too. It was a good game this year. Unfortunately we had no snacks since I had been out of town and returned home Saturday night. How nice to not have to prepare Sunday dinner.

I'm sorry you are sick and glad you are feeling better!

Carolyn said...

We always make a "family thing" out of the Superbowl (our way of rationalizing watching football on Sunday! ha-ha) The commercials are the best part for me.

Natalie goes to gymnastics at NW on Thursdays too. What time is Hallie's class???

Carolyn said...

p.s. I don't know why I just spelled Halle's name with an "I"???? Sorry about that.

p.s.p.s. I LOVE your blog!